The Signs Of Termites Every Manteca Homeowner Should Know
March 15, 2023
Termites are a growing problem in the Manteca area. We have both drywood and subterranean termites living here, each bringing different issues. Drywood termites make their homes in hard, dry wood in the structure of your home as well as your furniture and other belongings.
Subterranean termites infest wood that's touching the ground and prefer water-damaged or rotting wood to make their homes inside. They do more damage than drywood species. If you believe you might have termites, you should call Manteca pest control company Next Generation Pest Control immediately to keep the damage to a minimum.
How To Identify Signs Of Termites Around Your Home
You must know how to tell if you have termites in your walls because if you miss early signs, you could wind up with serious structural damage. Unfortunately, termites can stay hidden in your walls for years before you see any indications that they're there.
Here are some things to look out for:
- Doors that either stick or swing freely
- Drywall that's discolored or drooping
- Loosened tiles from the extra moisture termites introduce
- Maze-like patterns on your walls, floors, or furniture
- Mud tubes on the outside of your house
- Peeling paint that looks like water damage without a source of moisture
- Squeaky floorboards
- Tiny holes in your drywall
- Windows that either stick or won't stay open
- Wood that sounds hollow when you tap on it
- Wooden or laminate floors that are buckling
If you notice any of these signs, you need to call a company that knows how to get rid of termites, like Next Generation Pest Control.
The Extent Of Damage Termites Can Cause To Your Manteca Home
According to the National Pest Management Association, termites do upward of $5 billion in property damage every year in the United States. You could wind up with thousands of dollars of structural and cosmetic repairs after a termite infestation. Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance typically doesn't cover these costs, so it's imperative that you discover if you have a termite problem sooner rather than later.
Termites don't just feed on wood. They also eat books, insulation, swimming pool liners and filters, trees, shrubs, and bushes. They're especially fond of sick or damaged plants.
Termites can destroy your wall studs, causing your ceilings to sink. They can eat your floor joists and subflooring, causing soft spots and holes in your floor. The longer infestations go untreated, the more severe this damage becomes.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Termites
You need to know how to keep termites away from your Manteca home in order to prevent all that damage from occurring.
Here are some steps you can take:
- Get rid of any spots where the wood of your home comes in contact with the ground, making it susceptible to moisture damage and subterranean termites.
- Make sure water isn't pooling around your foundation. Use downspout extenders and splash stones to divert water away from your home.
- Repair leaky faucets and sprinkler systems, which can provide moisture for termites and other pests.
- Reduce moisture in your crawl space by sealing it and using dehumidifiers to pull water out of the air.
- Store firewood away from your house, and don't let brush or debris pile up next to your home. Also, don't over-mulch your flower beds. The moisture they retain makes your flower beds attractive to termites.
Taking these steps to prevent termites can save you from expensive repairs, but if termites are already inside your home, you'll need more expert solutions such as termite control services in Manteca from Next Generation Pest Control.
Call The Pros At The First Sign Of Termites
The best termite company near you is Next Generation Pest Control. We have over 60 years of combined experience in the pest control industry and a long list of satisfied customers. We look forward to adding your name to that list. Call today to find out more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Manteca.